Thursday, May 31, 2007

No Time in the Pokey

Yesterday afternoon was my court date. Apparently since I was unable to accept my ticket at the scene of the accident, I had to appear in person in court to accept my fate. Len hired a lawyer to represent me because I was still unable to appear at the first scheduled date. The lawyer was there to postpone it a month for me. He was also there yesterday for me.

As I have explained before, I was going the wrong way in one of those lanes that change direction of travel. I was confused and paid a hefty price for it. Anyway, I was cited for improper lane change. I planned to plead guilty and pay the fine.

But, no, Mark Gaffney the lawyer said, let's see how this plays out. Turns out the judge was one of Mr. Gaffney's law professors back in the day. Then, the "victim" (wasn't that ME?) never showed up, and the case was dismissed. Whoa! No fine, no record, no inflated insurance rates? Hurrah! Best part is, my time began at 5 p.m. and we were in the car by 5:11. Who knew Atlanta traffic court was so efficient?

3 comments:

Suzy Neal said...

Way to beat the rap. I'll be looking for your case to appear sometime soon on Law & Order!!

Clark said...

That's great news! Nice to know that you won't have to suffer any increased insurance rates on top of what already has happened. Way to beat the rap!

pedalista said...

I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. Something like, the judge let me off, but the Atlanta streets department sent me a bill for bleeding on their pavement. I have a weird sense of humor. Sorry about that. That is good news on the ticket getting dropped. Always remember it isnt what you know its who you know.