Tuesday, May 01, 2007

My First Trip Out Since the Hospital

We went to the Doctor today for my first follow-up appointment. It was good to get outside and see the world. It was also good to spend a lot of time in the wheelchair. Yeah, my foot swelled and it hurt, but I got used to it. I'm going to try and spend a couple hours in the chair every day now. Maybe have dinner at the dinner table with Len like the old days... it could make a big difference in how I feel about my injury prison/sofa.

Dr. Furie's office was a disappointment, to say the least. Very disorganized and kinda junky. Len pointed out that it appeared no one ever took out the trash. It wasn't dirty, but it wasn't at all what I expected, either.

So, first the receptionist took me back and removed the bandage from my pelvis. She was going to remove my staples, but since I'm still draining a bit she wanted the doctor to look at the wound first. In the meantime, she left me there with my would uncovered and draining, while she went on about her business. As careful as Len was about cleanliness when he changed my bandage each night, I knew he was horrified by the apparent lack of concern over germs shown by the receptionist. Did I mention she was the receptionist?

Dr. Furie came in a bit later and checked on things and then started pulling out staples! I am now officially staple free! Then I had x-rays done and the right knee is great, exactly as hoped. The left pelvis has a LOT of hardware in it. Both Len and I were startled. Dr. Furie basically said there is a very strong chance I'll have arthritis in my hip and that I'll need a replacement sometime. Sure, there is a chance I won't, but I think he truly believes I will. So, I'll just prepare myself for it and hopefully be pleasantly surprised that I don't need another surgery.

I see him again in a month -- when I hope to start putting weight on the right leg. Woohoo!

6 comments:

Nell said...

Hey Megan!
I sent an email to the address I have from work--
Can I come bring you lunch tomorrow??

Nell

Nell said...

nell@knitchknitting.com, btw.

Clark said...

Great news! Staple free is a good thing. With all the time Dr. Furie spends at the hospital, maybe he doesn't have time to clean his office - I remember Len commenting that the staff said he was always at the hospital...

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

True, Clark. He apparently spends most of his time cutting folks open!

Suzy Neal said...

Congrats on getting out of the house and getting those staples out!

You may have a lot of hardware, but don't sweat having a hip replacement or the possibilty of arthritis. They are not realities yet, just possibilities, after all!

Scully is counting off the days til she can come home. Ri and Joe are counting the days til she leaves as well!

pedalista said...

My mom had knee surgery a week or two after you had yours and she just got her 37 staples removed on Friday. Somehow the lady who came to the house was not used to removing staples so she didnt use any betadine (sp?) which was not the right way to do it. She said that was the most painful part of the whole deal so far. But that is a good signfor you to have them out. We will keep our fingers crossed for good karma and no more surgeries.