Saturday, May 05, 2007

That new car smell...

I talked to my brother John the other day. He's leaving for Qatar on Monday -- he lives there most of the time. He had a terrible motorcycle accident several years ago that left a big giant pin in his leg and didn't ride again until last year. I completely understand. While I still love the idea of the scooter lifestyle, I'm a little gun shy about not having walls around me when I drive around town. So, I need a car.

In keeping with the scooter theme of not using a lot of gasoline, I'm pretty intrigued by the Toyota Prius, which gets 60 miles per gallon. The Prius is automatic, which is a plus now that my legs are injured, and has a nice hatchback compartment that can carry at least a few of my dogs.

Still, the Mini is a car I've loved for years and it gets 35 mpg, not as great as the Prius, but still good. I've also looked at the Honda Fit. It's cheap, cheap, cheap and gets great gas mileage. The science fiction Scion xB is pretty cool, too, but I'm afraid it's too similar to an SUV, which I just don't like.

I'm doing my research now and once I'm up and about I will do test drives. Something really fun to look forward to!

8 comments:

Betsy said...

I think the real world MPG on the Prius is more like 45-50. Still respectable to be sure, but nothing like the sticker implies. Doug's brother has a Civic Hybrid, and I think for city driving (Boston) it works out well.

I see that Toyota is advertising the Prius like crazy on TV, which means they must have a glut of them. Probably not for long with gas prices going up.

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Yes, I'm considering a Civic Hybrid, too. And I know how MPG rarely lives up to a car's sticker claims. And, yes, dealer have loads of the Prius in stock. The time to buy is when gas prices go down a bit -- then the dealers might be willing to negotiate!

pedalista said...

Toyota has done two things, one they added another factory for
Prius production, and two they (and all car comapnies) are having to do new more realistic testing for actual MPG. The EPA has realized that they needed a more realistic road test because of the way they did testing before. They have resisted this previously due to CAFE regulations in states like California have penalties based on MPG for all the cars a maker sells and now with the new more realistic test, all cars and trucs will take a hit on the sticker MPGs.

I vote for the Mini, I am coveting one now, I figure I have been blasting a large enough hole in the atmosphere lately with the F-150 that I will have to go the other way now.

Ashley said...

I'm with Fred!! Go for the Mini!! As a former Honda & Toyota owner, I have to say that they are great choices too. But the Mini is just too much fun!! If you get a sunroof on the Mini, Scully & Maggie can stick out the top. Devon & Daisy can be front seat passengers. Its completely hound friendly!!

Suzy Neal said...

I am sorry, but a Prius looks like an ass.... Hope you find something that is a split between good gas mileage and good looks....VW diesel a consideration?

Betsy said...

I agree that the EPA estimates can be out of whack, but I've gotten what the sticker says I'm supposed to out of every car I've had. I think this must mean I drive like an EPA tester (scary).

No new TDIs until the 2008 model year at the earliest. Those are only for crazy cult members, anyhow...

Len said...

I usually get better milage than the EPA suggests for my car. What does that suggest about my driving?

Obsessed with knitting said...

Hello from California!

I'm a knitter friend of Alice and Kim's (from Knitch). Alice sent me your blog and I've just finished reading about your adventures in healing!

First off - I'm sending you Love and Light for your comfort and health. Your inner strength has not gone unnoticed - and will continue to support you going forward!

Second, my husband and I just got back from Europe and are very interested in the Smart Car: http://www.smartusa.com/
It will be released in the US in 2008.

Third, I hope to visit Alice in Atlanta some day and it would be great to meet you and your nurse angel, Len.

My best to you both.