Monday, June 04, 2007

Time Heals

When I first came home from the hospital, I was out of sorts. I was sad and in pain and not at all myself. I'd cry because Len would have to take care of my every need. I was humiliated by my lack of independence. He kept telling me that I just needed to wait things out and I'd be better and he was right.

I feel like my old self again. I'm sleeping in my own bed again. I need Len for fewer and fewer of my daily activities. I'm relatively pain free. And, I'm anxious to get back to work.

I just need to get out of this wheelchair.

Tomorrow, I see my orthopedic surgeon again for x-rays and an exam. Considering how well I'm doing, I believe physical therapy will begin then and I'll be learning to walk with a walker or crutches or something. I might finally get out of this blasted chair!

In anticipation of my getting out of said chair, I have ramped up my interest in a new vehicle. Len and I went to a Toyota dealer Sunday. They had sold all their Prius models, but had Camry Hybrids and Highlander Hybrids. Len was quite taken with the Highlander. Great gas mileage for an SUV, loads of room for hounds and accompanying hound stuff, and not too large (for an SUV). The Highlander Hybrid gets better gas mileage than our Saab wagon. Lots to think about...

3 comments:

pedalista said...

I am glad you are progressing along with your recovery. Watch out for the physical therapist, they are seriously into other peoples pain, but in the PT game the more pain the quicker the recovery (to a point). Remember what the Marines say, "Pain is weakness leaving the body". They even sell t-shirts.

http://www.amazon.com/Marines-Pain-Weakness-Leaving-T-Shirt/dp/B0002FNZA0

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Well, it looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer before the pain begins. My doc told me to wait three weeks. I am SO disappointed!

pedalista said...

You have to trust in the doctors that they truly have your besyt interest in mind. Fortunately you are a motivated patient and in some small way it say a lot about your that your are itching to get up and get out of the chair. The lady that was in the room with my mom was the polar opposite of the both of you. On the 3rd day when my mom was packinng up and heading out this lady was still laying in bed notwanting to get up or do the basic therapy and steps that they needed to see he do before they could release her. You will triumph over this and in the end it will make you stronger. We are all pulling for you.