Monday, June 11, 2007

Eco or Gas Hog? That is the question.

This car-buying thing has gotten to be a tougher decision than I ever imagined.

I want a fuel-efficient car, but I also want something fun and cool. None of the hybrids really make me excited, but I can't deny that 50 mpg for a Prius is pretty darned spectacular. I don't think the car is ugly, but for its spaceship interior, the outside is a bore. We drove a Prius, as well as a Highlander this weekend (Len drove, I just slid over from the chair into the seat). But the Highlander is an SUV and we just aren't SUV folk. They swish and sway too much and are simply too bulky. Not for us. The Prius we drove was a rental car from the dealership because they'd sold all they had in stock. Cavernous inside -- absolutely huge. But the cloth seats were pretty dirty, and we'd have to get leather. One trip and the hounds would destroy the interior. I'd be happy with leatherette, but leather is all that is offered.

Isn't there some disconnect between a car that was designed from the ground up to get super-efficient gas mileage -- a "green" vehicle -- that offers leather interior? Anyway, it bothers me.

But, does that mean I should go way to the other side and get a 2005 BMW 325i sedan? Same price as the Prius, with 4 years left on its BMW certified used car warranty, and to hell with the gas mileage and tree-hugging ideals. I used to have a 3-series, Len's hand-me-down when he got the Saab wagon. It's a really nice exciting car, but geez, talk about conspicuous consumption!

I've wanted a Mini Cooper for years. I almost got one when I decided to spend about 10K less and get another car I wanted forever, a Mazda Miata. I loved my Miata, but sold it because when we moved to Seattle and I worked from home, we decided we'd be a one car family. I bought the scooter while we lived there.

The problem with the Mini is Len. He thinks it's a kid's car and just doesn't like it. Fair enough. But it gets pretty good mileage at 35/40mpg, and it has reasonable cargo capacity for such a small car, and I really like it. I guess we just have to drive one. Maybe that will change his mind.

11 comments:

pedalista said...

Try them all before you buy. For years I wanted a Jeep Wrangler right up until I drove one. 2 miles and that dream had died.

Suzy Neal said...

After your accident, taking crash safety into consideration would be a good thing as well. Doesn't matter how much gas you are saving if you are laid out in the hospital or worse.

We might be pretty conspicuous in our 2 BMW household, but I know we are safe in the X5 when we travel. It doesnt' have any of the sway of the Highlander, but Toyota isn't really a performance company, I guess. The new 3 also gets better gas mileage then my 2005.

Clark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Clark said...

Good luck in the car shopping. I know it is tough when you like the concept of "Green" but also want something appealing to the right foot. At least BMW has a great safety track record, but then again I might be a bit biased.

I thought Len was test driving Porsche Boxters, that's a small car without much utility, let alone eco friendly. Maybe you can get him in a Mini to at least see if it's feasible. Although, as a tall person myself, I kind of cringe at the thought of them, but I've never sat in one, and have always thought they were cute.

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

One thing about the Prius is it has airbags up the wazoo. The MINI, too.
I thought about the X5 when Len was saying the Highlander was too swishy -- I couldn't imagine BMW would make a swishy vehicle.

Len's Boxter dream died when he met the sleazy slimy sales guys at the dealer. They made him feel creepy about Porsche and doesn't really like the idea of being associated with those guys as a customer.

And, for the record, I like consumption as much as the next guy, but a BMW vs. a Prius? I feel kinda weird considered the two together. Makes me feel kinda hypocritical. But I do like BMWs...

pedalista said...

some people have said that there is a tie between keeping gas cost down and people driving more miles. Do you think that there is a tie in between people buying more fuel efficient cars and then driving more miles? Right now I am looking at a motorcycle for local running around and back and forth to work to let me ease up on the mileage I am running with the F-150 at 18-20 MPG. You could always buy a VW or a Subaru????

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

My problem with VW is the one I'd really like to have is the convertible Beetle in pale blue. That is a lovely car.

I need more metal housing puffy airbags surrounding me.

A Subaru would make me feel like an LS (and Suzy knows what I mean by that). That's also kinda the problem I have with the Prius.

As for driving more: Another analogy is sugar-free and fat-free foods -- people tend to eat more. You might be on to something...

Betsy said...

Goodness. The BMW is a compact sedan, not an H2...

Leather vs. leatherette: Leather probaby wins the eco-battle here because it's a renewable resource (cows).

The Beetle convertible has a lot of safety features, including rollover protection. Beetles are a lot safer than most people think (German engineering in the house, yo), but it has reliability going against it. VWs are truly a love-hate kind of thing.

The best way to go green is mass transit (or walk to work like some lucky folks I know). Maybe when you're healed you can reduce your fuel consumption that way. My commute is ~45 miles a day round trip with no mass transit in site, so it's imperative for me to have a super efficient vehicle. But if you can take a bus or train to work, and just use your car for errands or trips, then maybe it's not as big of a deal so a fun car has less eco-guilt attached to it.

pedalista said...

Betsy you are flirting with a good concept there. If you use your car for more than just transportation then you are killing two birds with one stone. If it is both entertaining and transportation are you then spending your money more efficiently because you can use it to get back and forth to work AND use it for amusement purposes also? Instead of spending $6000 on a Disney vacation, apend $6000 on buying a more entertaining car and keep Disney out of it.

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Actually, leather is considered ecologically bad because the cow industry as a whole drains the environment more -- at least that's the current view. Vinyl is mostly recyclable. Of course, that hasn't stopped me from eating cows, so why should I care that I sit on them?

I agree also that I should have a fun car to drive around town. Len and I wanted to have one fun car and one eco-friendly car. But I'm just not thrilled with the eco-friendly options. There's the dilemma. And, I really wanted to be a semi-early adopter.

I think we need to wait on the hybrid until there are more options and their prices are more in line with other similar vehicles. An example: The Honda Accord starts at $18K, but lots of mandatory upgrades later and the Honda Accord Hybrid starts at $31K, for about 8 mpg better mileage.

Betsy said...

Most people aren't buying hybrids because they're cost effective. They buy them because of the environmental impact. Doug's brother has a Civic hybrid and is quite pleased with it. However, he could care less about what brand or style of car he drives. That the driver hybrid makers are targeting.

I think it probably ends up being a draw re: the manufacture of vinyl products from petroleum derivatives vs. leather from cows raised on factory farms. Maybe one day there will be a hemp interior option.

I'll shut up now before someone calls me a hippie and I have to punch them in the mouth :-)