Monday, June 25, 2007

Sheesh! I need a nap!

The last two days have been quite eventful.

Yesterday, I bought a car, and today I started rehab.

The car decision was the result of a long internal struggle with whether to buy a car that I truly like and want to drive or to buy a car that makes a strong statement about fuel efficiency. I think I hit a nice compromise with the Mazda3 hatchback.


The Mazda3 is great fun to drive (or so Len tells me, since I won't actually get behind the wheel until it is delivered Tuesday), has loads of space for such a small car, and has great styling inside and out. I'm very excited! The Prius just didn't thrill me, once inside the MINI I found it to be cramped and weird, and the Honda Civic Hybrid was my top choice until I got inside the Mazda. At 30 or so mpg, it's not as fuel efficient as some of the others I considered, but it is more so than some of the other cars I considered for their drivability. I was not officially able to drive, so Len did the testing for me. We have similar driving likes and dislikes, so I trust his judgment. Besides, I really loved my Madza Miata, and Len tells me it has similar road-hugging qualities. The first place I'll get to drive my new wheels is to physical therapy.

Which brings me to today. My PT guy, Chuck, checked me over and moved my stiff muscles and had me do several exercises. Then he gave me a home exercise program and instructions on proper use of crutches. I walked around the office on the crutches for a bit and then we made arrangements for my future appointments. Easy, peasy.

Well, easy until I got home and slowly started using the crutches here. Oh man, does my body ache from this morning's movements! And, using the crutches is hard work! I'm beat already!

But, as I've said before, this is so worth it -- and a long time coming. I was beginning to think this day might never arrive. But it has, and I'm okay! Normal is just a few weeks away!

2 comments:

pedalista said...

I didnt even think about the Mazda because you are either a Mazda person or you are NOT a Mazda person. My mom has owned 5 of them from an 1981 626 4 door that I killed when it caught fire in a parking lot (not my fault). 3 different Millenia's and now she has a RX-8 special edition Shinka. I love Mazda's because they all feel sporty and have the same driving character. So enjoy your new toy. And that is good news on your crutchability skills. Bonus Brabo Stars!!!

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Thank you!
I am patiently awaiting delivery right now. I absolutely can't wait to get my new wheels!