Sunday, June 24, 2007

The First Day of the Rest of My Life

I've really tried not to fall into the "when this happens, my life can begin again" trap, but my physical therapy starts Monday and I really feel like my life is about to begin again. As it is, I can't even go out the front door to pick up the mail, but once I'm using crutches or a walker I can exit any door I choose. A lot has happened these last three months, so it's certainly not like my life has been at a standstill. I've experienced quite a lot, I've learned a lot about myself and the people around me, and I've changed as a person. As I recuperate, I'm moving back to my body-modest ways, but I'll never be as concerned about hiding myself as I once was. In fact, I kinda like my giant scars -- they are part of who I have become.
So tomorrow is the big day. The physical therapy will be painful and difficult, but so worth it. I'll never be the same, but hopefully I'll be better in some ways and just different in others.

4 comments:

Ashley said...

Our good thoughts are with you as you go to therapy tomorrow!
~Ashley & Kelsey D

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Both our lives will change June 25. Good luck to us both!

pedalista said...

Best wishes, we are all pulling for you.

Clark said...

Yay! I know you have been waiting anxiously for this day. Just remember, small steps are still positive steps, and don't get discouraged or frustrated if you aren't going as fast as YOU want you to go. Listen to the experts and you will be back up and fully mobile soon! Our thoughts are with you as you start this part of your rehab journey.