Thursday, June 28, 2007

I'm As Tough As Pudding

Physical therapy is a lot harder than I thought it would be. When Chuck, my handsome physical therapist with the trendy hair, gently pulls or pushes on my legs, I smile through gritted teeth and clenched fists. Geez, this hurts! And then, a couple hours after I leave, my whole body aches and I really need to sleep.

Yesterday, an older lady (she appeared to be in her 80s) came in for therapy. She was very slowly moving an arm exercise machine while I moved my legs from side to side, holding myself up on grab bars. As I hobbled out the door when I was finished, I heard her say about me, "I had no idea she was as bad off as that!" An 80-year-old lady with physical problems is feeling sorry for me. Great.

Today, another older lady was in for shoulder work while Chuck worked my legs. She asked how I was injured and I told her and asked how she was injured. She's a BIG sports fan, you see, and she was watching the Manning boys in the SuperBowl and didn't want to miss a thing so she ran to the restroom during a commercial. On her way back, she slipped on her oxygen tube and broke her shoulder.

Chuck probably sees a lot of old folks.

If an 80-year old and a woman on oxygen can do this, so can I.

1 comment:

Clark said...

Just keep chanting the Zoom Zoom ZOOM! mantra from the Mazda commercials! You'll get through this, and look back on it one day and know you are a stronger person because of it.