Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Under the Knife...Again

Today I had a follow-up appointment with Dr. Furie. My knee looks great, but my hip doesn't. I go back in August for further x-rays and a CT scan and we will schedule the hip replacement surgery.

Even though I told myself this was an almost certainty, I secretly expected my hip to heal well and the replacement surgery would not be necessary. I'm pretty blue today.

It seems the bones in the joint are not forming smooth connections. The last couple weeks I have noticed this weird feeling in my hip like bones were loose and scraping together. The x-ray helped explain why it's been feeling this way. Nothing is loose, but bones really are scraping together. Kinda like artificially created arthritis.

Anyway, the surgery will happen some time this fall, after all my other injuries are completely healed and at a time that doesn't conflict with Len's school schedule or my work schedule. Maybe mid to late September? If not then, then it will be after my company's big fall event (which requires me on my feet for a week), sometime in November.

Good news is recovery is much easier than what I have experienced thus far. I should be using crutches within a day or two of the surgery and perhaps walking without aid 4-6 weeks later.

No comments: