Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Miss Manners

Len and I were discussing the Merry Christmas vs. Happy Holidays controversy last night. For me, it's simple: There are several holidays that fall within six or so weeks, so Happy Holidays is a perfectly reasonable approach. According to Bill O'Reilly of Fox News, 85% of Americans are Christian, so we should say Merry Christmas. Fact is, according to the U.S. Census, just 75% percent of Americans consider themselves Christians, but for me the question of how many people believe in Jesus really isn't the issue.

Why would we want to voluntarily exclude people with differing beliefs by only wishing them a Merry Christmas? It's just good manners to consider the possibility that Merry Christmas might exclude a person, so Happy Holidays is a nice, all-inclusive sentiment. There is no war on Christmas. Why can't we all just get along?

Call a duck a duck, though, and correctly refer to specific symbols. Christmas trees are Christmas trees -- they are simply pagan decorations meant to celebrate Christmas. And, don't call them Holiday Menorahs, Holiday Kinaras, or Holiday Sauerkraut (my family's traditional New Year's food).

As individuals, send Christmas cards or holiday cards -- you decide. But, our government represents us all and if we want it to acknowledge the holidays at all, we should want it to wish us all a happy holiday season.

On another note, I'm feeling much better today. I got my first good night's sleep in more than a week and I am finally on the mend. I even put in my contact lenses last night and left the house for dinner with Len at Big Time for some pizza and calzone. Good times.

No comments: