Sunday, December 18, 2005

Going to a party at the beach

I'm sick today.
Last night, I was laying with Maggie on a couple of dog beds to watch T.V. in comfort. I hadn't felt 100 percent all day, but suddenly I got the shakes and my skin was on fire. Seriously. I felt like my bones were cold, but my skin was on fire. I got up to get some OTC meds, and started blubbering. I hurt so bad I cried. I was so pathetic. Len finally caught on that I was in distress and put me on a comfy sofa and covered me up and went off to the kitchen for water and drugs. When relief finally came I went to sleep for the night. I feel pretty rotten today. It's beautiful outside and Len is on the scooter instead of me.

I blame the mean guy next to me on the plane from Atlanta last week. He started some shit as soon as he got on board and had this very mild-mannered nice-seeming gentleman across the aisle from him calling him an asshole. I lucked out with a center seat in the middle row on a packed plane for five hours. I had no where to go but up -- or so I thought. When the mean guy started coughing and hacking up phlegm, I knew I was in for some sickness in a few days. Asshole.

Len has been busy with posting our crap on Craig's List and eBay. I helped clear out several boxes of junk yesterday and we took the best of it to Goodwill to donate. We've learned a valuable lesson: Don't buy crap just because you think it's cool. Let the next guy buy it and store in his basement for five years -- or haul it across the country a couple times (like we have). Len has done pretty well, though. He's had strangers coming to our house for the last several days exchanging a bit of cash for some junk we don't need. He's cleared about $700 thus far and we are almost ready to stage the basement in preparation of the house sale. Not bad.

Speaking of house sales, I was in Atlanta last week for work-related stuff and spent a day with Karen, our very helpful Realtor. Since I'll be the sole bread winner while Len is in law school, I wanted a realistic view of our housing options. I'm pretty pleased. I can actually afford a decent place in Kirkwood or East Lake near public transit. Sure, it's the 'hood, but we don't care. I've never felt like I fit in at these high-falootin' places we've been living these last few years. I look forward to some true urban living. The very best news is Atlanta houses usually feature very large yards. The hounds are going to like it there.

1 comment:

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Thanks, Ben, for your comments. I look forward to reading your odd blog.