Monday, January 28, 2008

Avoiding the Blog-o-sphere

I've been avoiding the blog-o-sphere (hence, the blog title above) for a couple weeks because I've had some things going on that I wasn't sure I wanted to blog about. I've decided I should, so here goes...

One of my favorite people on this planet passed away a couple weeks ago. Dennis Mahaney married my sister Paula when I was just 5 years old. He and Paula and their four kids were a huge part of my childhood. When I think about it, he was in his early 20s then and really a kid, too. But, he truly loved my sister and eventually adopted her kids from a previous marriage.

Before my immediate family and I left Indiana for Georgia, their kids felt more like my brothers and sisters than my neices and nephews. We lived just a few blocks apart and went to school together. After we moved away, I spent summers at their home in small-town Indiana. I have a lot of amazing memories from that time in my life.

Paula and Dennis were married about 12 years when he had an accident at work and broke his back, rendering him a parapalegic these last 20+ years. He remained very active, though, and became really involved in his church and community.

He was a big help to me last summer when I was feeling pretty sorry for myself in my wheelchair. It was the first time in my life I truly understood what life had been like for him since the accident. He may have wanted to, and he had a right to, but I never heard him complain about his situation. And in my short time in the chair, I saw how much the world ignores the disabled. Cars aren't made for you. Stores aren't set up for you. The world bends over for people who have all their abilities, but makes very little accommodation for those who can't walk, or see, or hear.

He was a great example of someone who continued to live his life, in spite of the obstacles he faced. He and Paula made a wonderful life together. They raised their children with love and then made time every Tuesday for dinner with all their grandchildren. What wonderful memories those kids will always have!

Dennis died of cancer that began in his bladder and spread to his heart. The family thought he might beat it, but it was not to be. He was only 56 years old.

Dennis was a contractor who taught his fellow churchmembers his craft and they built an amazing gymnasium together. In fact, it was in that church gymnasium that his funeral took place. People stood up to talk about how important he was to them, the difference he made in their lives. They gave Paula a standing ovation. I cried from so much sadness and pride at the same time.

By the family's count there were about 800 people who came to pay their respects to Dennis and his family. I had never experienced anything quite like it: People flowed into the funeral home for six hours, and my sister personally greeted almost every single person. I am awed by her strength.

We all miss you, Dennis Mahaney.

3 comments:

Debbie D said...

That was a beautiful tribute to him.
He sounds like an amazing person to have known.



I do not know what to say to you. "I'm sorry" seems so hollow for your loss.

Hockey Mom said...

What a wonderful gift he was to you and your family. You were truly blessed to have him in your life.

*Hug*

Carina said...

It sounds like he was a special man.