Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yet Another Hobby


I don't think it's fair to call my latest hobby a "hobby." Truth is, I am absolutely addicted. Last Sunday was Knitch's first "Spin In" event, where yarn spinners brought their wheels and spun together at Knitch for a few hours. I thought it would be an opportunity to meet some spinners and maybe try my hand at the wheel.

I bought some colorful roving for a few dollars and borrowed the shop's wheel for the event. Sandy was there (a.k.a. Hockey Mom) and she gave me a quick spinning lesson, and I was off. OMG, I really loved it! I spun for hours and came away with a lovely hank of yarn. (BTW, Sandy also teaches spinning at Knitch, and I found her to be an EXCELLENT instructor -- I plan to take a formal lesson from her again soon!)

I'm not completely new to spinning. I went to a spinning guild meeting in Chelsea, MI, about 20 years ago, and got a quick lesson that day. I spent the next several years looking for used wheels at auctions, but never found one in good working order at a price I could afford. A couple years ago, I took a class at SAFF on spindle spinning and -- though I enjoyed the idea of it -- I found the process too tedious for me.

I enjoyed my spinning so much on Sunday that I find myself making the foot motions while sitting at red lights in my car. I am hooked!

6 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Spinning is definitely addictive!

You're making me blush! Let me just say you're a very quick student! You're a natural.

Admin said...

Go Megan! Very cool! I can't wait to try it! I'm scared to start though..because I know I'll be hooked!

Debbie D said...

I've only heard good things about Sandy's teaching skills!

Your yarn looked wonderful. You got an eye for color combo, girl.

Kim said...

Another one bites the dust! (Of course, my firm refusal to succumb to the allure of spinning will in no way prevent me from trying to mooch some of your amazingly gorgeous handspun. You have been warned.)

Scrub Mage said...

Aha! I'm not the newest spinner anymore! That means you get to bring the beer to the next spin in. Enough for everyone, OK?

Ms.Hudson said...

Um isn't it dangerous to do the foot motions while driving? hit the break, hit the gas... not a good idea... we just got you better!