Friday, February 01, 2008

What Would Jesus Say?

When I was in the eighth grade, my social studies teacher told me, in class, that I was going to hell because my family was Catholic.

Think about that a minute. I was a 13-year-old girl whose teacher announced would go to hell. WTF?!?!

This morning, some knitting friends sent me a link to a blog discussion about the Subway Token Mittens featured in the most recent Interweave Knits. Apparently, the blogger had seen an early version of the mittens and thought the cute little pocket was actually a flap the wearer would pull back when entering the NY Subway -- revealing an embedded computer chip. This gave way to all sorts of discussions about Revelations and Satan.

I've seen a lot of examples of bizarro religious ideas between the eighth grade and today, and I gotta say the crazies freak me out.

Who are you people? Why are you spewing your hatred at the rest of us? It's my understanding that Jesus was a simple man. He taught his followers to care for one another and to do good works for those less fortunate. So, where does all this fearful scary garbage come from?

Satan, perhaps?

5 comments:

Kim said...

Preach it, sister! (And it's good to have you back in BlogLand, hon.)

Hockey Mom said...

Hmmmm. These things are very scary. It is amazing the sins that are committed in the name of Christianity.

Debbie D said...

Amen, sister and pass the communion wine!

Recovering Catholic here. Got incense burning, drinking wine and who knows I just might have a bout of chanting for those ignorant souls. No kneeling though. They aren't worth my poor knees

jana said...

right there with you; i don't get it.jesus was a lovely man, and i think he would be heartbroken over the state of the world today. i know i am. people are intolerant and fearful, and most often use religion to hide behind it....all it does is cause problems.

"i can't get with no religion that advertises in popular mechanics" - woody allen, Annie Hall

Yarn or Death said...

I do not know for the life of me how it is that so many Christians have gotten the idea that they're supposed to behave like the Pharisees rather than Jesus. I apologize on behalf of the non-insane portion of my faith.

(Just now catching up with your blog! It doesn't show up on Ravelry!)