Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Daisy the Whippet, 1992-2007


Daisy the Whippet came to us in 1999, not long after we lost our beloved Dolly the greyhound. She was seven years old then, and full of energy and spunk. Emily the greyhound was annoyed at that energy and took a couple bites out of Miss Daisy early on. But, eventually the two became good roommates. When Emily passed away several years ago, we brought Scully and Maggie and Devon into our home, a move Daisy did not seem to like. But, she dealt with it, and reorganized her Whippety life around her newest roomies.

Since coming to us, Daisy lived in Michigan, Georgia, Washington and Georgia. She has the dubious honor of having peed in more states than most people.

A couple years ago, we thought we'd lose Miss Daisy, but with the help of the great Oz, her cardiologist, we managed to medicate her into relative comfort and her spunk resumed. But, she took a turn for the worse in the last few days, refusing to eat and not leaving her little Whippet nest. It was clear she was ready to cross the bridge. So, Tuesday December 11 was her last day with us. She spent it on Len's lap or on my tummy, resting and getting lots of love and attention.

We'll miss you, sweetie pie.

11 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

I'm so sorry Megan. She was well loved and y'all were very blessed to have her.

pedalista said...

I am sorry to hear about Daisy, she was blessed to have spent her life with you and Len.

Betsy said...

What a lucky li'l whippet Daisy was. I remember the first time I saw her, I thought she looked JUST like Dolly -- only tiny!

I'm sure Daisy's first owner would have been very happy to know how well taken care of she was, and the big adventures she got to be part of.

Doug and I share your heavy hearts. Godspeed, li'l Daisy.

Bruce&Dee said...

Lucy & Murphy send warm and fuzzy (lots of fuzzy) wishes for you from Michigan. We'll all miss Daisy's wonderful craziness and campground antics.

Debbie D said...

Oh, Megan I am so very sorry. Glad I was able to met her on Monday night. She seemed like a very sweet girl.

Kerry said...

Megan, I'm thinking about you and Len...I know how hard this is for you. I'm so glad I got to meet Daisy on Monday, I could tell she was a happy girl who had a long life with a lot of love.

jana said...

megan, we need more margaritas....you and len have had quite enough this year, and i hope that 2008 brings everything GOOD your way...see you soon.

Kim said...

Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. Sending lots of love your way.

Yarn or Death said...

I'm so sorry, Megan. She was a sweet girl and seemed very content on Monday night. I know she was well loved.

Unknown said...

Fantastic pics. I LOVE the cups and bowls with the gorgeous colors on the inside. I must put this shop on my list for my next visit.
Ellen
www.UltimateHomeDiary.com

SRW said...

I'm so sorry to hear about Daisy. She sounds like a wonderful hound.