Saturday, September 15, 2007

Bad Car-Ma

Earlier this week, I saw an accident happen. Yesterday morning, my friend Erin called to tell me she crashed her car, and last night a valet driver attempted a U-turn while parking my car and another car slammed into it.

What a week.

There I was last night, minding my own at a trendy downtown restaurant with some co-workers, giving our now-former colleague, Marie, a proper send-off. I'd only been there about 20 minutes when the valet people came to get me to talk with the police about my car. Obviously I'm not responsible for anything here, but the owner of the valet company tried to say he wasn't either.

It seems it was my driver's first day and he wasn't technically an employee. The valet owner nearly convinced the cops to arrest the kid for auto theft when I stepped in and explained that I gave my keys to a valid employee of his company. That employee gave me a ticket and I paid the valet fee. That employee MUST have given this kid the keys to my car and told him where to park it. So, yes, his company is responsible.

The cops agreed and cited the kid for unlawful U-turn and my good friend, Ashley, made sure the valet owner gave us all his insurance information. No one asked for mine and I didn't provide it.

My brand-new car is hurt pretty bad (the driver's side is crushed and the rear wheel is turned in and two airbags went off), but aside from some airbag burns no people were injured, so that's the important thing here. I called my insurance company and they said they'd take care of me and go after the other guys for their money, so I'm cool, if not a little put-out. I already have a new rental car, a much less-tricked out version of my own Mazda 3.

The thing that burns me is that I looked for handicapped parking first and when there wasn't any, I used the valet (there was no other option). And, I had to pay $5 for some kid to park my car on the street, not even in a real lot. What a scam.

8 comments:

Debbie D said...

oh, Megan! your brand new car! I'm so sorry it got hit and what a hassle. Can't believe the Valet business owner is such a rat to their new employee!

Suzy Neal said...

Dang, that IS some bad karma! First the scooter, now the brand NEW car! Atlanta has to be one of the worst cities to own a car in. Maybe MARTA is smarter! I know you'll be glad to get your full mobility back so you won't have to depend on bozos like that to park for you.

The valet company owes you $5, they never actually parked your car, did they?

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

Yea, I thought about getting my money back, but then I figured that was proof that I'd paid for their services. Wouldn't want some a--hole lawyer getting the valet off with a technicality.

Betsy said...

That's a lot of damage. Is the insurance company going to total it?

Len said...

So many torts, so little time.

Hey, you are wrong about the kid's employment status. His first day on the job=he's on the job=he's an employee.

Unknown said...

hello-

We know each other from the Thursday night Knitch meet; you helped me fix my hat and explained how to fix a twisted stitch, if that helps at all. The hat is now frogged and the yarn languishes uselessly but thanks for teaching me how to knit properly in the round!

I'm so happy you are doing well; I'm sorry I'm late with the well-wishing but I guess better late than never right? <:] I'm sorry about your vehicles and the accident.

Tons of cheers and hugs, Kristi

Ashley said...

OH Man Megan!! I thought that I'd had a bad car week last week, until I read this post. My rental car mishaps & car in the shop are nothing compared to this. I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. Damn! Cut the woman a little slack will ya!!

Carina said...

Missed you on Wednesday. Hope that you are OK. Have you recovered from your week of sh*t? I hope to see you on Monday. I just can't seem to live up to my full ho potential with out you there. If you need a ride or something, just call.