Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My New Hip


It's been five months since my accident and I have just one more big step in the recovery process.

Total hip replacement surgery.

Sounds scary to me, but I'm actually really excited about getting this done. From everything I've read, it's a very successful surgery and all my caregivers believe this will be the thing that really puts me back to "normal."

I went to see Dr. Furie this morning. Today was his first day back from his own leg surgery and he looked pretty uncomfortable with all those pins sticking out of his tibia and the halo cage-type thing he has on to protect those pins that stick out. But he was in good spirits, and actually more personable than he's ever been with me.

Seeing him like that, though, sure reminded me of how far I've come these last few months. This stuff is not easy.

The x-rays showed my right tibia is doing very well, but that left hip really needs replacement. Dr. Furie won't do it until it's been six months since the last surgery -- just to make sure the original break is healed before creating more injury that needs to heal.

It looks like I'll have the surgery October 11 or so. First, I have to have a CT scan and we have to order my parts and that sort of thing. Then we will have a firm date for the surgery.

For those of you who don't know much about this procedure, this is what I can expect:
The surgeon will reopen my hip incision, move the muscles away and dislocate my hip joint. He will remove the top of my femur and the acetabula from my pelvis (these compose the ball and socket joint -- and, yes, it is as gruesome as that sounds). Then, he will remove any excess bone that has grown around the joint. He will attach the new prosthetic femur head and acetabular cup. He'll check for fit and to make sure the joint moves well. Finally, he'll sew my muscles back together and staple the incision.

The next day, I get to learn to use crutches again and very likely will go home.

If you really want to know more about the procedure, go to the edhead website for a virtual experience.

6 comments:

Hockey Mom said...

Megan, my dad had his hip replacement over 3 years ago and it was the best thing he did. I'll keep good thoughts in my head as your surgery gets closer!

Debbie D said...

guess we have to have Welcome Back Megan The Sequel party at Knitch!

Suzy Neal said...

Get the titanium one like Floyd & you'll be cycling up Brasstown in no time!

Megan: Dyer, Spinner and Weaver said...

I'll be scheduling the Megan Walks Again party for January!

Clark said...

Great news! I am glad you are getting on the schedule and getting along with the final phase of your recovery process. I wonder if Doctors leave graffitti on your insides? Kind of like how you see folks do in caves and whatnot? I can just picture "Furi was here" with a Roman Numeral style marking system on your insides ;)

Len said...

I do not understand why lugged steel is not an option.