Monday, August 20, 2007

My life lesson.

Sometimes I get way too serious. Especially now as I wait for my bones to heal. It could have been so much worse. And, since it wasn't worse, does that mean I should do something more important with my life? And, if I don't do something more with my life, does that mean I'm disrespectful of my life?
I just read an article about an 18-year old boy in Michigan who died of cancer this week. In the last couple years, he had developed a following on his blog: A following of folks who felt admiration for his courage, and those who felt comforted by his irreverent attitude about his certain death. They read as he hit life milestones like prom and high-school graduation. He was an inspiration to tens of thousands.
Then, I read another article about a 23-year-old Serbian man who was eaten by a bear at a beer festival in a zoo. What kind of inspiration is that? Don't get drunk in a zoo because you might jump into an animal exhibit and get eaten?
It's a fluke that I had my accident. It's a fluke that I am still alive. I know that in the end, my only obligation is to me, and that is to live a good life. Be happy. Have fun. Be kind. Don't harm others in the process of living my life.
I think that's a good philosophy. But in truth, that was the way I lived my life before the accident. So, what is my lesson in all this?
Don't drive on the wrong side of the road.

2 comments:

Kim said...

:-) i love it.

Debbie D said...

or don't go to Target for the undergarments?

cough, cough,

sorry couldn't resist. Thanks for being a bad influence tonight!