Friday, April 11, 2008

The endless bathroom project


About six weeks or so ago, Len and I hired a company to gut and remodel our little bathroom. Back when the house was a two bedroom, one bath house, this was the one bath. It's the original bathroom for the home and still had the original 1940s tiles and fixtures. Too bad for us, though, because the floor joists beneath the bath had rotted and our tiles were cracking. If we had been able to save the original tiles, we would have.


As for the sink and commode, some very fashionable homeowner in the 1980s did a quick remodel, and installed a very unfortunate green formica counter and weird wood vanity, and a matching wood seat for the toilet. Top the whole thing off with a cheap medicine cabinet, crappy light fixture and southwestern-style striped forest green wallpaper and you get the idea. Nice.


So we had the floor joists replaced, all the tiles re-done, a new pedestal sink and commode (low-flow 1.2 gallons, thank you very much) installed, and had the fabulous old bathtub resurfaced, keeping the old streamlined/late art deco look of the tub. The tiles are white subway tiles with a black decorative stripe near the edges.


Last week, I thought all that I needed to do was prep the walls and paint to finish off the room. That is, until I went to wash my hands to find the new medicine cabinet had been installed way off center. It seems our contracter didn't bother to mention that he needed to move the sink from its original spot and that the cabinet above would be off-center -- he just installed it that way. And it wasn't an inadvertant mistake, he knew he was doing this. WTF?

So, Len's friend George came to the rescue. He and Len are re-installing the cabinet and adding the lighting, etc. I should be painting in a few days. Hurrah!

I'll publish pics of the final product in a week or so.

5 comments:

Suzy Neal said...

I feel your pain! This is why I am in no hurry to re-do our bathrooms, even though they both are in bad need of it!!

Betsy said...

While you get points for that medicine cabinet, we have uglier 1980s light fixtures. Hope you were able to get some Rejuvenation in there!

We would also like to redo our bathrooms but it's not currently in the budget, nor are we able to make a decision on what to do. So we will continue to live with the horror know as "clueless DIY remodeling on the cheap".

Debbie D said...

I see you had some supervision there.

Len said...

I did not want to do any labor on this project, but when Megan told me the contractor would charge extra for redoing the installation correctly my head exploded.

Good thing too, because as long as we were doing a little drywall we took the receptacle and two switches that were singles, and not well aligned, and put them in one triple box. We found that whoever installed the bathroom fan used the uninsulated ground for the neutral because he was too lazy or incompetent to use the correct wire. So I was up in the attic yesterday drilling holes and pulling wire for an hour. Man am I sore.

jana said...

well...that's weird, isn't it? why would the contractor leave it like that? unless he was tilitng his head or something. hmm. ps. i love storm, you rock, and i am buying that from you next week, and you will help me find a pattern to use it. :) hurray. such little things make me so happy.