Monday, February 26, 2007

Lunch and Learn: Knitting and Crochet


Now, even though I'm an avid (rabid?) knitter, I rarely write about my favorite pasttime in these pages. But, I recently began teaching a group of people in my office how to knit during lunch hour on Tuesdays, and it has been a great experience for me. After teaching them the basic knit and purl stitch, each person in the group knitted up a square and my crocheting co-worker joined the squares together and crocheted a lovely edging that integrated grosgrain ribbon along the edge. The purpose? We gave the masterpiece to yet another co-worker when he adopted his new son. The result? A group of fiber-inspired people who are now wishing they could quit their jobs and knit all day!

Last week, the crochet master Linda D. taught us all how to crochet. Our first project will be a beret! I jumped ahead a bit and I've been making granny squares for a blanket for myself. I'm a wild woman!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I need to come to your lunch & learns. I'm still trying to teach myself to knit. I wonder if there is a Knitting for Dummies DVD?? I certainly fit into that category. I just can't seem to get the hang of it. I envy your knitting abilities.